Thursday 25 October 2012

For my example of economies of scale I decided to choose the sewing industry as the industry which I know the best. First let’s look at the industry as a whole. It is labor-intensive industry where the qualification of the workers plays a key role. The mass production there is very well established and the numerous big existing companies tend to create difficulties for the new companies to enter the market. And is a result of intense use of economies in scale the minimum efficient scale is at very low prices and huge outputs. And when asking if it is possible to do it in today’s Canada the answer would be “No” in 99%. Why? Simply because Canada’s high level of life and small population created high-paid jobs and labor-intensive industries cannot compete successfully in our very competitive world especially because the small population of the country creates small market and for the success the company would need to export its production to bigger markets.
But are there any other possibilities? Yes, the niches. The product should be very unique, innovative and there should be the demand for it but not in large quantities. All that would give the opportunity to reach the minimum efficient scale at prices high enough to get the profit. It is illustrated in the graph below where LRAC1 is long-pun curve for big mass production companies and LRAC2 is long-run curve for small custom-oriented companies.
One of those products would be the custom theatre and dance wear, school uniforms, corporate clothing for small local restaurants etc. The potential customers are not powerful enough to order large amounts of products, all the products must be unique but with some possibility of labor division and this local market would exist for long time without big fluctuations in size. The tricky part would be to determine the right size for the future company. To cut-out the fixed costs I would start from home-operated business and devoted most of my time to advertisement. There are a few local websites where for relatively small cost I can advertise my business. For better productivity I would spend some money on quality equipment keeping in mind that the labor wages is the biggest input and increased productivity would cut a big piece of average variable costs. In attempts to use a division of labor the most I would hire a good sewer and do all patterning on myself. The reason would be to reduce the explicit costs at the beginning when the cash flow is low while keeping the high quality of the work my company is doing. On the graph it illustrates AVC1 and AFC1 curves.
After some improvements in cash flow I would rent the space in crowded neighborhood with relatively high average family income and easy transportation access for my shop. To keep my costs down I could make the size of the shop big enough to accommodate just few more workers. In my decision how many people I should hire I would calculate the marginal cost of hiring new person, buying new equipment and approximate decrease in average total costs with the output increased. If the marginal cost would be higher I would stop hiring. And I would try to implement the economy of scope by taking side orders of alterations, repairs etc. That would help to fill in the gaps in between the big orders. And at the same time I would build the base for people willing to take the contract work for simpler parts. It would help me to get done big orders without involving many permanent workers and keep fixed costs lower. Also I would hire the receptionist to meet and greet visitors and do all high-paid accounting and design work on myself to cut variable average costs and keep all company cash flows under my control. Definitely while calculating the profit I would use the economic approach to figure out how well or bad I am doing and instantly trying to get my total average cost lower or at least same when the minimum efficient scale achieved. It is illustrated on the graph above by AVC2 and AFC2 curves. Please note that though the AFC2 is higher than AFC1 the total AVC2+AFC2 is less than AVC1+AFC2 because of greater specialization and bigger output (Q2 compared to Q1). All that demonstrated as well in long run LRAC curve where AC1 are total costs for AC1 and AC2 are costs for AC2.


Next step would be to get enough profit to hire good designer and accountant. That is desirable but sometimes it is something that can lead to bankruptcy as the owner gets more time and loses the day-to-day possibility to influence in the company. That leads to increased bureaucracy and diseconomies of scale develop. Small businesses are very sensitive to that and the profit can diminish quickly. On the graph it illustrates AC3 curve and AC3 costs that are higher despite increased output.
My example of successful business would be the Lily’s Fashion Creatures-small designing studio in NW Calgary. Successful policy in achieving minimum efficient scale helped the owner to expand from one shop to two shops one of them in downtown. The owner is very active and never gives up in the attempts to find the ways to get new and more customers. Though she is not fully uses the Internet recourses she is well-known through word of mouth.
Please feel free to check her webpage below;
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment